Wednesday 15 December 2010

Wednesday's Reader Picks

This week's pick comes from Rafi. Please enjoy!

"Rut Sawant" - Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan

The late Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan was a renowned Pakistani artist. He was an exceptionally gifted musician who was best known for singing Qawwali, a form of Sufi devotional music that celebrates the various spiritual traditions within Islam. It may sound cliché but it is hard to describe Nusrat without getting emotional. Nusrat’s voice was truly one of a kind, his vocals bellowed an array of mystical and ethereal sounds that captured his audience.

The following excerpt is from an article written by the late Jeff Buckley. Jeff was a phenomenal musician and was a loyal fan of Nusrat. Jeff Buckley captures perfectly how it feels when listening to Nusrat for the very first time.

The first time I heard the voice of Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan was in Harlem, 1990. My roommate and I stood there, blasting it in his room. We were all awash in the thick undulating tide of dark punjabi tabla rhythyms, spiked with synchronized handclaps booming from above and below in hard, perfect time.

I heard the clarion call of harmoniums dancing the antique melody around like giant, singing wooden spiders. Then all of a sudden, the rising of one, then ten voices hovering over the tonic like a flock of geese ascending into formation across the sky.

Then came the voice of Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan. Part Buddha, part demon, part mad angel...his voice is velvet fire, simply incomparable. Nusrat's blending of classical improvisations to the art of Qawwali, combined with his out and out daredevil style and his sensitivity, outs him in a category all his own, above all others in his field.

His every enunciation went straight into me. I knew not one word of Urdu, and somehow it still hooked me into the story that he weaved with his wordless voice. I remember my senses fully froze in order to feel melody after melody crash upon each other in waves of improvisation; with each line being repeated by the men in the chorus, restated again by the main soloists, and then Nusrat setting the whole bloody thing alflame with his rapid-fire scatting, turning classical Indian Solfeggio (Sa, Re, Gha, Ma, Pa, Dha, Ni) into a chaotic/manic birdsong. The phrase burst into a climax somewhere, with Nusrat's upper register painting a melody that made my heart long to fly. The piece went on for fifteen minutes. I ate my heart out. My roommate just looked at me knowingly, muttering, "Nusrat...Fa-teh...A-li...Khaaan," like he had just scored the wine of the century. I felt a rush of adrenaline in my chest, like I was on the edge of a cliff, wondering when I would jump and how well the ocean would catch me: two questions that would never be answered until I experienced the first leap.
(Reviewed by Rafi)


Have you recently heard a great track that you would like to share? Send in your review of a track for our weekly "Reader's Picks" series. Here, we want to know what you listen to. 
Please visit our Reader Submission Details Page for more information on how to submit any material to Nomad's Playlist.

No comments:

Post a Comment