Monday 14 March 2011

This Week's Picks (#35)

It's St. Paddy's day soon and what better way to celebrate than some tunes straight from the land of the leprechauns. Enjoy!

"May Morning Dew" - The Chieftains

These guys are the veterens of the traditional Irish groove and no St. Paddy's day tribute would be complete without them. While they're famous for their upbeat jigs and reels, this has to be my favorite track by them. There's just something about the melody that just send chills down my spine. A mysterious aire, this is a beautiful song. That said, I think its time for something a little more festive...


"Eanair" - Lúnasa

I've featured this band before but I really do love them. While this song treads a thin line towards cheesiness, I think it just holds it off. Instead, you get a beautiful and energetic twist on traditional Irish music. This track is from their debut album, Lúnasa, released in 1998. While we're getting warmer, I think we can still get a little more festive...



"Johnny Jump Up" - Gaelic Storm
 Now, this is more like it. A great song, about drinking. Gotta love stereotypes. Again this is another group I grew up with and while they too edge on cheesy, I love them. Especially this song. This track is from there 1998 debut album Gaelic Storm. With lyrics like "I fell to the ground and I couldn't get up, after drinking a pint of the Johnny Jump Up," you can't go wrong! 


Now, what are you waiting for! Go sink a pint (or two, or three) of Guinuess and celebrate Éire! 

No comments:

Post a Comment