Monday 11 April 2011

This Week's Picks (#38)

Wow, I just realized I'm approaching my 1 year anniversary! Just over a month to go. Exciting! In the mean time, I hope you enjoy this week's picks.


"O Ou Ni Sou" - Rokia Traoré


This track is from Rokia Traoré's killer album, Tchamantché released in 2008. This album was recently picked by Songlines magazine as one of their top 75 albums. This relaxed track makes it obvious why this album was chosen. A soft steel drum in the background perfectly accompanies Rokia's sophisticated voice. While this is definitely a contemporary sound, it is wonderfully and distinctly African at the same time.


"Lemba" - Muntu Valdo


I have spent a lot of time listening to and loving Muntu's music. This track is from his new album The One & The Many (out today!) but the video is of live performance, which is where Muntu shines. Using an elaborate pedal board, he pulls off an impressive one-man-band sound, playing everything himself. 


"Many Things" - Seun Kuti and Egypt 80


In tribute to the concert I will be missing on Wednesday, here's some funk from Seun Kuti, Fela Kuti's youngest son. Seun just released his newest album From Africa With Fury: Rise and is touring. On Wednesday he and the Egypt 80 will be performing at the Royal Festival Hall and I will sadly miss the show. It should be a great one, and if you go, please write a review and let me know how it was. This track however, is from an older album Many Things.


Enjoy these? Have some tracks you'd like to share? Let me know via Twitter and I'll post it on Wednesday's Reader Picks!

No comments:

Post a Comment