Wednesday 9 June 2010

Wednesday's Reader Picks

This week reader Muhummad takes us to Brazil to hear the artist Seu Jorge.

"Life on Mars" by Seu Jorge


Seu Jorge grew up in the urban slums of Rio de Janeiro to become a critically acclaimed Brazilian musician. Although, it’s his cover versions of David Bowie classics that has brought him international recognition. Yeah you’re right; I said “cover versions of David Bowie classics”. I grew up listening to Bowie and am weary of any musicians covering original classics. Who could do justice to Bowie? Seu does and more so. Seu’s take on “Life on Mars” oozes an “effortless cool”. His softly spoken Portuguese vocals and gentle strumming on the acoustic guitar adds a whole new dimension to Bowie’s timeless classic. This “effortless cool” is nothing short of pure musical genius. Seu’s rendition of “Life on Mars” inspires all would be musicians to pick up an acoustic guitar and learn Portuguese.

Other tracks on the album include Seu’s covers on: “Starman”, "Rebel Rebel," "Rock 'n' Roll Suicide," "Five Years," "Lady Stardust," "When I Live My Dream," "Suffragette City," "Oh! You Pretty Things," "Ziggy Stardust," "Changes" and "Queen Bitch". David Bowie sums the album up by saying; "Had Seu Jorge not recorded my songs acoustically in Portuguese I would never have heard this new level of beauty which he has imbued them with." Bowie’s right.
(Reviewed by Muhummad)


Do you have a favorite track you'd like to share? Click here for details on how to submit your track for our next edition of "Wednesday's Reader Picks".

3 comments:

  1. Muhummad, thank you so much for your review! We really like your writing. We would be happy to read and post more of your selections on our reader's picks. Seu Jorge is a great find!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot, I appreciate your comment. I had a blast writing the review. Seu Jorge is a great musician and I'm glad you enjoy it. I'll definitely send more reviews.

    ReplyDelete